Here's why i think it will make a difference: The same drive configuration, two 40 gb drives, has been in the WRX since i installed the empeg, no change there. I did get overheating, but once i drilled vent holes into the pocket above the empeg, no more overheating. It's been fine for months that way with daily use. Then last week i uploaded another 30 gigs or so that i'd been retagging and now the drives are literally ALWAYS spun up according to the disk activity icon. So after half an hour it gets overheated. The drives being spun down at all seemed to help.

And as for why i don't just use the MkIIa... the way i have my sled installed, i can't even fit a MkIIa into it. It's bolted in from the side and is one of the coated black sleds. Despite the size of the empegs supposedly being exactly the same, i can tell you from experience they definitely are not. My MkII slides in fine with plenty of room, but the MkIIa won't go pas the first sled nipple... which can't be bent out due to the mounting bracket in the WRX. Should be an easy swap so i'll give it a try before i venture into fan world. Unless i have one... *me goes digging in my junk computer box*

Thanks!