The EMPEG can control two IDE devices...

I've just about convinced myself that I am going to have to "bite the bullet" so to speak and install a good quality CD player to feed into the empeg's auxilliary input.

I have what amounts to a double-din area in the dash that will let me do this. It means sacrificing my cup holders and my coin tray. But y'know, I don't drink coffee, and in all of Interior Alaska there is not a single parking meter nor toll road so maybe, just maybe I could survive without those luxuries.

Can somebody please clarify for me what the ramifications of this are. Let's see, I am playing the competition CD in a CD player, using the CD player's DAC to send an analog signal to the empeg. What does the empeg do with that signal? I can run it through the empeg's parametric equalizer which is a good thing, but I don't get to run it through the empeg's Burr-Brown DAC with its 110 dBA S/N ratio which is a bad thing. Under the one circumstance where it is really crucial to have all of the benefits of the empeg's superb sound production capabilities, I can't use them. I do get to use the CD player's radio tuner, so that's a plus, saves me $90 (with shipping). Anybody have a feel for how much sound quality I may be giving away by using the empeg in this mode as a pre-pre-amplifier? I know there are some empeg users who are using CD players in their cars in the manner I have described here.

I'm telling you, when I get to be King of the World, there'll be some changes made, you'll see!

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"