In reply to:

I know there are some empeg users who are using CD players in their cars in the manner I have described here.

I am running just that setup, but my previous head unit was a Kenwood Radio/Cassette deck w/changer control, I still have that unit running into the aux of the empeg, other than the previously mention "warm, fuzzy" sound, the clarity is actually far better with the empegs EQ and my amp. if anything I can drive the speakers harder with the volume from the empeg, and fine tune the radio/cassette/changer unit.
I have noticed no ground loop, but I attibute that to good quality RCA cables, and an excellent Toyota electrical system.
I will post a pic if I can nab my digital camera back for a day or two, I meant to document the whole install procedure, but unfourtunatly that was lost by the wayside, when I began my install and simply just got too excited about the empeg!
I will be doing a new install in the spring with my new auto (another Toyota) and I will surely be documenting that install, as it will be all out.

But so far, no problems, just extra gain, and better quality audio with a decent quality aux head unit.