When using the line level outputs into a home stereo amplifier, the volume of most devices needs to be at it "0db maximum" if the home stereo amplifier is used to control the volume.

In fact, most devices that plug into home stereos via line level don't even have a volume control, and are hard-wired to always play at maximum volume. The only reason the Rio Receiver has a volume control is because it's also got a speaker connector.

I wasn't aware that Displayserver included a volume hack of any kind. In my experience, the player shoud turn on at the same volume it was at when it was turned off. The only times it should "forget" the volume are when it's had the power removed (unplugged or power outage), or when you deliberately cold-boot it by rapidly pressing the power button several times.

I agree that the receiver should remember the sound and display settings even across a power outage. Those things should be stored in the server software on the server's hard disk so that a power loss does not mess them up. That's actually the only thing about the receiver that's giving me any trouble at all: Every time the power goes out I have to re-adjust the bass, treble, and display contrast, and I have to re-select the current playlist. Since I have it plugged directly into speakers, I don't have a problem with the volume, but I can see how that would give you fits if it were connected to a stereo.