I've been lurking for a while, and haven't yet setup to start hacking my Rio Recivers (I actually have 3 that I haven't even opened yet, since I've been too busy with tivo hacking)

Even though I haven't had time to do any actual rio coding, I've been giving a couple of the problems presented a thought.

What about bypassing mad alltogther, instead just send audio decoded on the server via multicast to all the rio recivers. Assuming your network doesn't have too much other traffic on it, you shouldn't have any issues.

I've been trying to get information about cobranet (http://www.peakaudio.com/Index.htm) which appears to basically do this (encode audio in raw multicast or broadcast frames, send it out, then all the "players" tune to a specific "bundle" and just play it. CobraNet claims to be able to easily support 64 48khz 20bit channels on a 100mb repeater (hub) network... so we shouldn't have any problems sending 2 channels of 16 bit audio to all the recivers, even over the phoneline networking... in theory this can actually scale to transmitting multiple "channel groups" and having each reciver tune to the right multicast group.

I don't have time to work on coding this for at least 2 weeks so I thought I'd throw it out. Does this seem like a valid approach, and is there anyone far enough along to work on this? If it's of interest but nobody gets to it, I can work on it when my schedule gets clearer.

Also, does anyone actually have detailed documentation on the cobranet protocol, like a packetcapture with a framing description, I haven't been able to find anythign like this on the net?