2) Why go from DC to AC to DC? The PSone uses low voltage DC - and doesn't
> the PS2 do the same? As you mention yourself you can buy a lighter-plug
> adapter which provides the power you need (wire it directly to the car if you wish).

Agreed, i originally planned to do just that. BUT, the problem is that i want to be able to switch out game systems without having to rewire my car. If i had a standard AC plug, i could bring whatever my little heart desired, including any myriad of portable AV devices, and just plug em in. I'm still doing some research on the topic, but my installer ensures me he's done it before with no problems, so we'll see. Unless i can come up with a better solution for being able to swap out the systems, this is looking like the best way to go.

If you really want a AC plug in your car, I really advise you to make it switchable (on the 12V side of the inverter), because the inverter itself drains quite some power from the battery even with no AC device connected and even without that, 110V/230V are a security risk as well (fire, shocks etc.).
However, I would choose the following setup:

1. Install a high power DC plug somewhere near or in the glove box to connect any devices that will stay there for a while (PSone/PS2)

2. Optionally install an AC plug somewhere to provide power to devices that are only to be used for short term use (AV devices like DVD player, VCR, ...). Make sure you are easily able to disconnect the inverter from the battery for the above reasons.

Anyway: Have fun with your play-mobile (aka car).

cu,
sven
(MkII 12GB blue, #080000113)