Here you can see a shot of the trunk and the custom connectors I fitted to the factory wiring. I cut the factory wiring near the pre-installed factory amp (not shown). Divided up the wires that went to the original two connectors into three groups and attached mating Molex Mini-Fit Jr. connectors on both cut ends. This allows me to connect the factory amp any time I need to restore the car to its original condition.

You can also see other mating connectors that are on the ends of custom wiring that goes to the new amp. This wiring accounts for both line-level conductors from the deck up front, remote-on and of course wiring running to the speakers.

Up front I used an aftermarket BMW wiring harness to connect the factory connector to the empeg. I modified this harness by soldering RCA plugs to the wires normally designated as speaker leads (did the same to the custom connector in the trunk mentioned above). This way I could re-use the factory wiring instead of running new cabling. I didn't need to run any cable at all from the front to the back of the car. BMW installs unshielded twisted pair for all the wiring connections and this is the perfect base for an aftermarket install.

In the top left corner you can also see a tiny bit of the cross-overs for the front component speakers. Looks like a mess, doesn't it?

Here's a shot where you can see the custom wiring running to the amp. You can also see that the amp is mounted to the rear deck (under the parcel shelf) with some custom brackets (that I made with aluminum flats and angles).

The amp has been mounted right-side up and with its heat-sink facing the bak of the vehicle. All the wiring here is shown before being trimmed back and properly routed. Having the amp mounted this way provides a pretty stealth look from a standing position behind the car with an open trunk. Adjustments to the amp (sensitivity, filters, etc.) is done from inside the car (not comfortable )

This is a close-up of one of the brackets holding the amp to the car.

Attachments
240849-DSCN4023-01.jpg (856 downloads)