Quote:
Yeah, an a la carte system with different channels possibly commanding different prices with a cost floor would seem to make sense. I imagine that having that many different combinations would have been a nightmare to deal with before computers because prevalent. Now I can't imagine that it would be a big deal at all.

Dish Network used to offer this back when they were small, but did stop due to the call overhead. Instead of someone calling to order and asking for "Dish 500" or whatever, they would ask questions about each and every channel, and the person would have to lead them through it. In the end, they just couldn't justify the cost of keeping people on the phones for that long.

I'd be happy if they brought it back, but only allowed it as an internet subscription, or one done through the receiver now. Receivers these days allow interactive use to pay bills and order PPV, so it shouldn't be too hard to extend it. Also, set time limits you must subscribe to a channel, to prevent picking and choosing so quickly, you only get the channels at the times you need to record shows.