Just because a town has the same name shouldn't mean it has to get that far. See, these things are insane. When it comes to domain names, if the holder has a valid use for it (and that use doesn't infringe on the business of a trade or service mark holder), I say first-come, first served.

Like ATI.COM for instance. Someone had it when our company had ATITECH.COM. There was nothing we could do about it legally. There are plenty of other "ATI" companies that would have a claim on it - likely many of which were incorporated before the graphics company and who also hold a trademark on their names. So the company bought it. Don't know how much they paid for it. But even if it were $1Million, it was worth it.

Do remember that if someone *is* infringing on your trademark, you must take action and defend against your right for the mark. I'm not sure how you end up losing it - what kind of dilution is required for it to be considered common or abandoned for instance.

But I'll be doing a lot more research on this because obviously I don't want to be bitten in the ass by it and also have a few names I'd like to register and protect for the future.

Bruno