A spreadsheet is a great tool for data mining and manipulation before such data is ready for a database and/or before such a database and associated browsing tools are completed.

I'm all ears if someone has something else to suggest that I can pick up and use immediately to batch correct fields within a very large file (CSV source with up to 20 columns or so). A lot of the correcitons I'm making require visually seeing the data in a grid-like presentation to identify inconsistencies visually.

Whether most people will require greater than 65K isn't the most important detail. The program could be engineered to support it and it isn't. It's the same thing as MS telling someone they won't need more than "X" amount of memory on their computer.

Word and Excel for Mac OS X look quite decent. Apple's new "Pages" program looks very nice and seems to overlap into Page Layout (ala PageMaker, InDesign, etc..) while still presenting a very clean interface (which may or may not be easy to use - I'll have to see).

Now if only someone would make a very fast text editor that does proper macro recording and playback. The more I use TextWrangler (free editor from the BBEdit guys, nearly identical), the more underwhelmed I am. TextPad for Windows is the king.

Bruno