Quote:
It probably is being caused by the amp being enabled by the blue "power on" indicator line from the empeg. Some amps can draw a lot of current from this line; the empeg, consequently, draws more also - then pop goes the fuse on the main power line to the empeg.

Thanks, this sounds like a plausible theory. It was doing it at the installation place in front of the guy who installed it. Funnily enough, it didn't always blow the fuse, sometimes the unit would just go dead and need powered up again. He adjusted the levels on the amp itself and it hasn't done it since. Still, I need to sort the wiring as I'm sure the blue wire being loose won't be helping matters!

Quote:
Solution: fit a relay to the amp and use the blue power enable line to turn on the relay.

Are you also connecting the blue wire to a powered antenna? If so, same rule applies.

Thanks for this advice, much appreciated. I'll give this a whirl if the loose connection proves not to clear this issue up. How easy is it to wire a relay to the amp? Will I need to run some more cables to the amp to do this? I'm not sure on the antenna front, but I could ask the guy who fitted it.

When he fitted the Empeg, he just said it must be a faulty head unit, end of story. I wasn't too impressed with his attitude to be honest....

Quote:
mmmm corrado vr6... what year do you have? I've got a 93 passat vr6 with a schrick intake and 268 cams.

Mine's a '94. I've got the schrick + remap also; transforms the midrange! I've always fancied the cams too but wasn't sure if it would dent the midrange punch gained by the schrick alone. These old VRs sound wonderful eh? Perhaps the reason why it took me so long to upgrade the stereo from the original tape player!!

Quote:
The easiest way to test, is does your empeg shutdown when you turn off your car? Does it remember where it was in the last track you were playing on power-up? If it does both of those then it's wired correct (minus the large fuse)

My empeg behaves as you describe. When I pull the key, it goes onto standby (with the white LED pulsing) for about 5 secs and then powers off completely. On restart, it returns to exactly where it left off. Oh well, at least something is working right with the install!!!!

I've also upgraded my hijack from the ancient 340 to the latest, not that this will affect the above I wouldn't think.

Thanks for all your help so far, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Euan.