After two Saturdays' work, it is done. I had to cut the bejeezus out of the plastic dash support - I used a dry wall saw, it worked pretty well. The sled is not bolted into anything, but it angles down strongly (about 15 degrees) so there's no chance of anything sliding out.

I used a 100 channel FM modulator (Power Acoustik EFM-100 100-Frequency Pll FM Modulator) mounted in the glovebox. I had to drill holes through to the central console to route its wires. I got the Subaru FM antenna connector from Metra Online. The sound is OK, not competition quality, but definitely listenable. The power (permanent & switched), headlight sense and ground were all available by tapping the lines that feed the display directly underneath the emepeg.

Now, I need to get a new lens and lighting kits to match the light blue / red lighting in the Outback, and use some of the wonderful buttons firefox31 sent me for helping him out a few months back (thanks man!).

I still need to retain the sled a little better, but it's good enough for now.

The surround had to be heavily dremeled, as did the adjacent vent tubes. There's basically zero clearance between the sled and the vent tubes. The trim piece directly above the sled also had to be dremeled and then hot glued into place, since the dremeling removed the screw mounts it would have used.

I'm so happy. I was getting very tired of CD's.

<JOY!>

-Zeke

Attachments
259795-IMG_5672_1024x768.jpg (30095 downloads)