Quote:
Yeah, I'd look carefully at how the original install was done and find out if THEY hooked up a wire wrong or something.

This past weekend I re-wired the whole thing and it's all working great. Their wiring harness was weird with the ground going to the frame of the radio stack and into the subaru harness and they had the dimmer line hooked to the light for the cubby.

I ripped it out and replaced it with one from http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/WRXharness.htm and all is well. No hacky wire runs. The EMPEG tuner powers the antenna amp, no weird pops on shut-down. The dimmer works as expected. It's all good. You do need to have the factory head unit/climate control module plugged in or it WILL pop on shutdown. But since you want that plugged in anyway (for AC), it's no bigge.

I've yet to find an audio sintall place that has a high level of attention to detail. They can get the rough stuff done fine (amp racks, sub enclosures, wire runs etc) but when it comes to doing a clean wiring job that doesn't look like a rats nest they just don't bother. I know you cannot see it, but I know it's there and I like to know that it's tidy and well laid-out.

-Ian