The thing is, Mark, you were being helpful, but then you had to take that cheap shot at the end.

I think folks here overreacted slightly. You probably didn't mean it in the way it came across. But that doesn't mean that I don't understand their reaction.

I know that as a software developer, you expect better bug reports, and usually get them, and when you don't, it's because the reporter is either lazy or incompetent. But you're dealing with end users here. They're completely different animals. They don't know what's important and what's not important. I'll admit that his first post was skimpy, but we asked for more information, and he provided it -- every piece he was asked for. If you think that the number of total tracks is relevant (and it is), then you need to ask for it. Maybe we should have a boilerplate for making help requests. It would be nice if people could know what's important and what's not, but there's just no way that he could have known to provide that information without being asked for it.

And, Mark, I'm not attacking you, personally or otherwise. I'm just pointing out that you definitely came off as abrasive. You either need to expect people to be defensive about that or make sure you don't come off as abrasive. If your last sentence is any indication, you've taken the latter course, to an extreme. That's certainly within your rights. You've given us a lot of stuff with no expectation of payback, and we appreciate it. And we'd continue to appreciate it. But that doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to be upset when dismissed abruptly. (Again, I'm inclined to think that that came off differently than what you intended simply based on the fact that you were helping.)

As for everyone else, and I should have said this before, if you have a problem with Mark, you should talk to him about it, or if you have to make rude remarks about him (in the guise of being supportive of someone else), at least do it behind his back. Calling him a jerk to someone else while pretending he isn't "standing" right there is just rude, and there's no call for it. Again, if you think he was being rude, tell him. Otherwise, keep your public mouths shut.