Paul,

FWIW...i have felt that this player, and the board, is catering to those who like to tinker with programming and tweaking the player in order to make it 'more powerful' and/or 'efficeint'.

I wonder then if the Empeg was 'closed source' would there in fact be any problems to troubleshoot.

Hence...the fact that the player was originally designed to provide the user with a quatity of songs that up to that point in time was not available is no longer its main focus

playing around with the code is now main topics of discussion in these boards....the primary use of the unit is secondary, at best

I dont pretend to know a fraction of what you guys are talking about when it comes to memory, kernels, digital whatever....all i know is that i can bring 10K songs along with me, all neatly arranged in playlists for ease of selection...and boast that i own a product that was, and is, unique and most probably will never make it to prodution again...

perhaps these boards are bored with the topic as there is pretty much nothing left to talk about!

Ed