Quote:
Does it matter that my v2 player has 2 drives and my v3a8 only has one

No, with one (rather large) caveat. I'll explain:

Using rsync to synchronise empegs assumes that you have a "master" empeg, which is the one that you upload new content to, and one (or more) "slave" empegs, which get the new content using rsync.

The way that the document is written (I wrote it) implies that it'll only work if both empegs have the same number of drives. Specifically, this bit:

Quote:
Do the same, but for drive1.

...implies this.

Now, if you use the 2-drive empeg as the master, then, theoretically, you can issue the following commands on the slave, and it'll merge the content of the two drives to the one drive:

Code:
dest-empeg:/drive0# rsync -auv --delete rsync://source-empeg/drive0/fids .

dest-empeg:/drive0# rsync -auv --delete rsync://source-empeg/drive1/fids .

This would cause the two source drives (drive0/fids and drive1/fids) to be merged onto one drive (drive0).

Except for the '--delete' line. The problem here is that you issue the first command, which copies half of the updated content onto the slave empeg, but also deletes any files that weren't in that half. Just in time for the second command to copy those files over again, and delete the content that isn't in that half.

Not good. What you could try is replacing those two commands with this one:

Code:
dest-empeg:/drive0# rsync -auv --delete rsync://source-empeg/drive0/fids \

rsync://source-empeg/drive1/fids .

With a bit of luck, that'll cause rsync to merge the two file lists before it starts. What it does is give rsync two source directories and one destination directory on the same command line.

Note that I've not tried this: both of my empegs are two-disk, and neither of them are next to me at the moment.

Quote:
2 differnt software vers. Could rsync still work for that?

Yep. If you're using the rsync instructions, then the player's not actually running, so the player version is a moot point.

Note that this isn't for the faint-hearted, so make sure you've got a copy of everything just in case. Once you get the hang of it, though, it's a pretty slick way of keeping your empegs synchronised.