Okay...

Let's assume that you've got two players. In my case, the two players are a Central and an Empeg, but it could be two empegs and the procedure would be the same.

Let's also assume that the two players have *roughly* the same song files on them. Not necessarily the exact same songs, but mostly the same.

Let's also assume that you've designated one of the players as the "master", in that you perform all of the playlist edits on that master player, and you want to synchronize those changes over to the other player.

Let's also assume that you only want the *playlists* synched over, and you want to have those playlists hook up to the corresponding songs on the other player. You don't care about transferring the actual song files between the players, you've already done that part.

Let's also assume that you accept the responsibility that if there's a mismatch in the song files between the players, the result will be a few orphaned songs or blank playlists on the destination player. And you're OK with that.

Now... ASSUMING all of the above is true, here is how to transfer the playlists from one player to another:

- Install the latest Java run time engine from http://www.java.com .

- Create a folder for Jemplode. Such as C:\Program Files\Rio\Jemplode .

- Grab jemplode.jar from http://www.jempeg.org/ and save it in your Jemplode folder.

- Go to http://rmml.dev.java.net .

- Navigate to the "Documents and Files" section.

- Grab rmmlite.jar from the "RMML releases" folder at and save it in your Jemplode folder.

- Grab riobackup.jar and riorid.jar from the "Other Karma Apps" folder and save them in your Jemplode folder.

- Hook up both of your players to the LAN and make sure you know their IP addresses and you can ping them and/or navigate to their hijack web interfaces. In the examples below, I will use 192.168.0.5 to represent the "master" player, and 192.168.0.4 to represent the "destination" player.

- Get a DOS prompt going in that Jemplode folder.

- Refresh the RIDs on both players. This is a time-consuming process. This is necessary so that each song has an associated RID and the playlists can be matched per-RID:

java -jar riorid.jar empeg 192.168.0.5 " " missing
java -jar riorid.jar empeg 192.168.0.4 " " missing

(Note: The " " is there because I have no emplode-password set up on my empeg. If you have a password, put it there.)

- After a long long wait (note: This wait is only long the first time you do it. It will get shorter on later synchs since most of the RIDs will already be in place), create a backup file of your master player's playlists:

del "backup.empeg" (to make sure the file isn't there)

java.exe -jar riobackup.jar empeg 192.168.0.5 "" backup backup.empeg

- Once you've got the backup file, "restore" it to the destination player, using the "wiperestore" parameter so that it erases the existing playlists and puts your master set of playlists onto it:

java.exe -jar riobackup.jar empeg 192.168.0.4 " " wiperestore backup.empeg

All done.

This should, in theory, work. But I've only used this procedure in controlled conditions on my own players, so I could envision ways this could trash things for you. Be ready for problems along the way, and please report success or failure here.