Quote:
Why not start our own, excruciatingly more effective protest by taking public transportation to work? Possible, or impossible?

If only.

When I work in the office I try to get there before 7am so I can leave nice and early. At that time of the morning it only takes me 40 minutes to drive the 38 miles (it can easily be a 2.5 hour drive during the "rush" "hour").

From my local station the earliest train is at 06:05, which would get me to the other end by 07:50. There isn't another train until 07:05, which means if the early train is cancelled I am left sitting at the station for another hour.

Because I wouldn't get to the office until after 08:00 I would have to then leave later. The earliest return train I could get would be 17:05, getting back to my home station at 18:49.

So I have the choice of driving and leaving the house at 06:00 and getting home before 16:00, or getting the trains and leaving the house at 05:40 to get home at 19:10. Ten hours vs. thirteen and an half.

No competition really, especially as I get the chance to have fun driving on fairly empty roads.

Thankfully I have been working at home for most of the last year, I've got a four month stint in the office coming up soon though.