Quote:
The only way the empeg can tell if you want its display dimmed is through your car's illumination wire. If that illumination wire is lit all the time, there's no magic way for the empeg to tell the difference between night and day. It doesn't have a photosensor. Although I suppose if you were really cool you could rig up your own trick with a handmade photosensor system.

Actually my car has a light sensor for the rear mirror, which dim it at night automatically... I think I might look into how this works.. But I guess all that the empeg does is to sense changes in voltage on the white wire... but it doesn't seam to be able to sense changes in steps, like my mirror can... it dims the mirror in tiny steps...

But any how.. I think I will take care of the ground loop, and I think you are right, it must be poor grounding... and I will look into this... I have been reading all the good FAQ's suggested, and everything points to this as the problem...

Once again, thanks for the help!

A little tale... :-)

"Funny" thing... I actually had my first empeg 3 years ago but with no tuner, annoyed by this, and by the fact that tuners were hard and expensive to get by, I sold my empeg, and bought a Dension headunit with tuner build in... but this headunit was too deep for my Golf DIN Cage, and had a problem with heat after a 2+ hours drive, it would just shutdown... and it was generally no where near the empeg in regards of features and preformance...
I then got me an Omnifi unit which I mainly bought because of the wireless sync feature... But damn! It was bad! Couldn't even play simple tunes without breaking up... I guess I should have known better with all those units on sale on ebay ;-)
As you might have guessed I'm back with the empeg, and this time I got one with a tuner module... :-) But it has been a long and expensive way to learn the empeg is still the best mp3 headunit... ;-)

Edit: fixed markup -wfaulk

Edited by wfaulk (01/11/2005 21:28)