Quote:
I think you are right about not owning the dish equipment I think they rent it to you.
This is correct, though it wasn't always this way. They started doing this once they released the first PVR unit.

Quote:
The Tivo is the only thing making me consider a contract with direct tv.
I've never had a Tivo so I don't know the differences, but we LOVE the new DVR. The older model was good, but this one really took it to a new level. The only thing that seems to be missing is the "suggestions", which I'm not to worried about. We have enough TV to watch without adding new shows! Or in short, if there's anything I'm missing, I'd rather keep missing it.

One thing I should note- the way the unit comes configured it is set up to behave like two seperate single-tuner units that can play back each other's shows. It sounds like a neat idea but ends up being pretty annoying. See, in this mode if you try to record two shows at the same time from the same TV it won't let you do it. You have to go to your other TV to record the second show. Fortunatly my wife figured out a way to turn this off so you can just record whatever you want from whatever TV. I'd suggest doing this right off the bat if I were you.

Edited by JeffS (04/11/2005 01:36)