Quote:
Oh, it's horrible. No documentation. Several methods over 1,000 lines. Poor comments. No bug tracking. No testing of any kind. Global variables. Inconsistent variable naming, including a SQL call called "stupid2". Inconsistent formatting. No constraints in the database. Repeated data across several tables in the database. And to top it all off, has a nice for-switch loop. I laughed when I saw that post on thedailywtf. I cried when I saw the same construct in the code for real.

Aaaagrh, my eyes!!! Boy, you could write a book on "Top 1000 wrong ways to write software" from this.

Quote:
The process for this was that the users said what they wanted, the programmer coded it, they deployed it, realized it wasn't quite right and went back to the programmer with a new request.

Well, iterative prototyping, as a way to capture and later verify specification, is not bad per se, but requires discipline and is much easier to do with a RAD tool (wich have fallen out of vogue; my favorite is Prolific's Panther, BTW) than essentialy 3G language, OO or not, as Java.

I agree that the only way is to more or less build the beast from the scratch, by the book. I hope your nerves are strong - you will need them. Good luck!
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue