Quote:
Minneapolis banned smoking in all bars and resturants a little while ago. The bars complained about losing money because the smokers went to bars in other areas that did not have the ban. Also some bars closed. They are now talking about allowing smoking in bars but not resturants.

They had a few false starts here in Washington State including a county-wide ban in Pierce County (Tacoma) that were reversed under pressure. Then anti-smoking forces wised up and went for a state-wide referendum. Game over.

The ban won handily, took effect December 8 and public indoor smoking has disappeared with nary a whimper. I went to a bar last evening with 5 friends (a school night!) and we all rejoiced. The owner (who we know pretty well) seems relieved -- no more bitching from people like us and to the smokers he can say "Sorry! I didn't do it".

From the standpoint of effectiveness, the state-wide bans have been a great success. No decent counterattacks, legal or otherwise. So if committed smokers *really* can't live without indoor smoking, you might want to start planning that move to Raleigh or Vegas.

I have met smokers who profess to *really* want to smoke forever -- one guy who fulfilled a promise to his wife to quit smoking for 5 years. Actually, he was at the four-year mark when I met him, and he said "When my 5 years are up, I'm smoking!" he couldn't wait.

I think that guy is really the exception, though. Most smokers would pay some dough if you could wave a magic wand and make them not addicted. I think the public health effect of this progression of state-wide bans will be quite salutory. Smoking with a lower profile, less prominent, less integrated socially, less convenient, probably fewer people wishing for a magic wand.

So while I kinda feel bad for the few folks standing in the drizzle in the sidewalk last evening, I had a much nicer time at a place that I had often begged off on, and I think their children will be thankful.

Twenty years ago you could duck into the very small conference room smack in the middle of a 10-bed ICU (ventilating many emphysema patients!) and have a smoke. No more. the march of progress.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.