Quote:
You should ensure a short DC ground wire, VERY heavy gauge, grounded to bare metal on the car chassis.

I'll change the ground to the amp. The run to the battery is only a couple of feet, so my new lead for the empeg goes directly to the battery and skips the sheet metal altogether. I'll run the amp ground in the same way. BTW, while under the hood I checked the battery terminals and cable connections for cleanliness and godliness- the factory ground strap goes to painted sheetmetal, but the threads of the nut welded to the sheetmetal are bare metal, so I guess the ground path is through the bolt/nut. I cleaned it all and gave it some grease to fight oxide build-up.

This is a very basic install- no heavy hitting speakers, so the amp is low grade; just to boost the four channels. All I have is the four stock 6" positions, the empeg, and the amp. I'm using the stock harness to connect the empeg to the car and the amp to the speakers. Even with the relative simplicity of this setup it's still the most complex I've ever put together- and the most finicky.
Once I manage to get it fitted right, it will be the most rewarding music system. More later-