Backing up configuration data seems like it would involve consolidating info from /empeg/var and also reading the data off the flash.

Some of it is in var (the config.ini), but most of the relevant data is either in FIDs or stored on the scratch partition. In my thread about "partition help" FVGestel described a method to save off the scratch partition.

I'm sure that if I had enough forethought, I'd be able to save off the playlist data simply by exporting the CSV file at regular intervals. I wouldn't have an "automatic restore", but at least I'd be able to see what songs were in the custom playlists and it'd be fairly easy for me to reproduce them. Of course, I never think to save off a CSV when I'm synching, so it's kind of my fault.

You know, a lot of the functionality needed for backing up your playlists could be implemented in the open-source versions of emptool...

My dream would be for Emplode to just "cache" the data from the last couple of successful synchs and allow you to force that stuff back onto the empeg in a pinch, perhaps prompting you for the locations of the MP3 files first. That way, I'd never have to consciously back something up. And I'm not talking about breaking the paradigm of Emplode being a dumb terminal. I just mean have emplode remember the playlist organization just in case of a tragedy. It's already in the PC's memory after emplode synchs sucessfully.