Given that it's not likely that Empeg is going to put this functionality into the player software at this point, I don't see much choice besides this approach. I'm certainly not going to suggest it to them... I want 1.1 first!!!!!!!

Certainly it would be better to have this done by the Emplode software, and in reality, it really shouldn't be that big of deal for Empeg to do this. Enough so, that I'm really pretty curious as to why they haven't already. Certainly I understand the b*llsh*t about copying Mp3's, but the EQ settings, dimmer, etc. and playlists (maybe) should be easily backed up. The playlist is a maybe simply because it would be pretty easy for that to be out of sync.

My approach is certainly a brute force attack, as I'd basically grab images of the partitions, run them through a quick compressor, and pull them off via the RSYNC server protocol. Total upload is the rsync binary, and a config file. Maybe a cut down inetd to launch displayserver on demand at port 80, and the rsync server when needed.

It's not that big of a deal to do, but it's pretty wasteful to grab a few settings. Frankly, I'd rather pull the mp3's via the perl script than in this manner, but it's certainly doable this way, assuming you have the space. The rest of the stuff on the system should pull off pretty small.