Update:

I have been living with the LG WM3431 for a few weeks now and I'm pretty impressed. There is some adjustment on my part, but not having to move clothes from the washer to a separate dryer is really nice. It's also nice not having the dryer venting into my garage like the old one was.

The total time for a large load of cotton shirts/pants takes just under 4 hours including drying time. That's actually way more than I anticipated, but the 19-hour timer allows me to load-up, go to work, and have the cycle start a few hours before I get home. By the time I'm home, I don't have to wait long for the cycle to complete.

I don't know how it manages to dry clothes with cold water, but clothes come out steaming hot. They usually feel damp at first, but once they're out in the open for a couple seconds, they dry completely.

The device is very compact and has a relatively small capacity. That's fine for me, but I think doing laundry for a whole family wouldn't be possible. There is a larger version for about $1,800. I bought my WM3431 for about $1,100 from Best Buy.