is there a new remote shipping with the rio car now? if so, how different is it from the kenwood that came with the empeg?

The new remote that ships with the Rio Car is a credit-card style remote, almost identical in shape and size to the Kenwood remote. It has the same number of buttons, but uses a slightly different key layout. There are a couple of new functions, such as dedicated keys for "Search", "Info" and "Visual". The hidden "tweak order" functions are now labeled. The Menu and Enter buttons are the same button. Some of the secondary functions can be accessed by holding down the button, something that the Kenwood remote couldn't do. Finally, it uses a completely unique infrared protocol so that it doesn't conflict with Kenwood equipment installed in your car.

Internet Explorer just locked up on me as I was trying to browse to the Rio site to locate a picture of it, so someone else will have to provide that link for you.

And to answer your next question, yes, the Rio remote will work with the Empeg Car player (as long as you're running software version 1.02 or later), and yes, you will be able to purchase them separately (although I don't know when).