Quote:
The obvious choice is a WRT54G-v3, which can be used "as is", or enhanced with various free/commercial third-party firmware featuresets.

I made a mental note some time ago to visit this subject and, prompted by this thread, I've now decided that I need a Linksys WRTSL54GS WAP/Router with USB to replace my energy-inefficient Smoothwall firewall appliance PC. The only real problem is it doesn't appear to be available in the UK. Posts on www.linksysinfo.org suggest that it's discontinued and the only UK retailer who even mentions it (www.broadbandstuff.co.uk) is claiming that it has been discontinued.

I can't quite fathom why it's not on general sale here in the UK. It was released late 2005 but there's no evidence of it having been retailed over 'ere, ever. Amazon.com (who list it) are telling me to buy from Amazon.co.uk (who don't recognise it). I'm on the verge of buying it from this US eBayer for $108 + $42 postage which is all fine and dandy and heck, the £ is strong against the $ right now but I'd still far sooner buy locally in case of any problems -- am I missing something here? Should I be considering other non-UK suppliers?

Edit: Changed message title
Edit edit: a [ url ] tag got 'munged' by 'the BBs' edit

Edited by AndrewT (27/10/2006 23:21)