Quote:
And for me, SOUP views (that's sorting and displaying by meta data) is the way to go. I don't want to have to manage folders - not to mention how rigid that setup is (sorry beloved empeg). Soup views done right (like with Slimserver/Squeezebox) is the way to go.

I guess I've never seen soup modes done right, then. I think my main problem with soup modes is that it's extremely easy to end up with a complete mess of songs. Heck, if you throw one album with various artists into your player, you're going to wind up with a big mess. Or do you like it that way? Personally, I don't want an artist that only has one song in my entire library to be featured as prominently as artists with several albums, and that's what I always end up with. There are ways to set up your tags so this doesn't happen, but why invent ways of fooling the soup mode when I can just avoid it alltogether.

I guess it basically comes down to control. Soup modes make me feel like I have very little control over my music, while folder structures can be created however I want them, and they're on my computer that way to begin with.

Here's a question, though: why can't we have both? The last couple generations of Archos players have both modes. When you go to play music, It lists Artist, Album, Genre, etc, but the first option is "Browse hard drive." Why can't we have that compromise? Is it really that hard?