Keep in mind that there are several styles of Dutch ovens. The first big decision is whether you want something for use in the kitchen, versus something meant to be placed in the middle of a campfire. The campfire models have legs built in, as well as a flat lid that's meant to hold coals in place. The next decision is material. We've got a smaller, aluminum model as well as my newer, larger cast iron model. Likewise, there are the swank enameled models. If you can handle the sheer weight of the thing, then cast iron is the way to go. It takes a little longer to heat up, but then you get nice, uniform heating. I don't really see the point of enamel (and the much larger price-tags), unless you're doing something delicate (a souflee?) where the iron might have some chemical effect on the food you're making.

After that, the sky's the limit on what sorts of meat things you can make. Really, any sort of stew or soup would be at home, as would long-cooking items like beans. If you want to do some deep frying, then all you need is to buy a fitting wire basket or a spider or whatever else. Needless to say, you've got lots of options.

Incidentally, one of the nice properties of seasoned cast iron that you don't get with the enameled versions: if food sticks, you can blast the hell out of the pot. I use a grill scraper / wire brush. Others just stick the pot into the oven and put it on the "clean" cycle. No need to stress out over a fine enamel finish.