Ok, I just bought the ingredients and will give this a shot tomorrow - will mix the dough this afternoon.

I just came back from the supermarket where I picked up a bag of white bread flour and a bag of multi grain. Even picked up some corn meal to dust the crust.

Last week I picked up a cast iron enameled French/Dutch oven for CAD$50 - a lot cheaper than Staub and La Creuset, so let's hope it lasts as long.

I've read the recipe, the article (which doesn't appear to cost anything to read), the followup and have also watched the video. I noticed the recipe in the NYT is bit different than what Lahey described. I'm thinking of setting the dough for its last hours on a tea towel as shown in the video. I don't have any parchment paper and I really hate using cling wrap.

The only thing that I wanted to try, but that I won't be the first time around, is to put slices of Portuguese choriço sausage into the dough before baking. I'm sure once I have the initial loaf-making down the sausage will kick it up to a whole new level.