Quote:
Our IT department sent out a mass email:
Every employee is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN from installing Vista, IE7, or Office 2007 on any company computer.
Is anyone else seeing this effect at their employers?

It sounds to me like your company might be a little different from the norm. Where do you work that the IT department would have to keep people from installing entire operating systems? I think that the average worker in most companies wouldn't be able to install much more than IE7, and even then it would probably just be through Windows Update. Our firm has its own update server, so we choose what gets updated, and we advise users against upgrading to IE7, just because it's an unknown quantity at this point.

And so is Vista. I think it's ludicrous to declare Microsoft in trouble because businesses aren't moving to Vista just a couple months after it's been released (to businesses). I've worked at three companies so far, and each one of them seems to upgrade their OS almost one/one-half generation late. I started at this firm last March, and they'd just completed their XP upgrade.

I do think that Microsoft will have a little more competition, but Vista will have the benefit of coming pre-installed on a lot of computers.