Quote:
Okay, what is an "end-of-terrace house" and, for that matter, "terrace", in this context?

A terraced house is like a row house, I think. End-of-terrace should be fairly self-explanatory: The houses in the middle have a neighbour on both side walls. The houses at the end have a neighbour on only one side wall.

This is a fairly common form of housing in the UK, particularly where the housing was built during the industrial revolution. Think Coronation Street, if you're into that kind of thing.

A detached house is a house standing by itself (as the name suggests). These are less common.

Also common is the semi-detached house where you build two houses that are mirror-images of eachother and they share a single wall in the middle. Each side is referred to as a semi-detached house.

I'm not sure if this is the same as a duplex, because my reading of that suggests that this refers to any building containing two dwellings.

A semi-detached house is split vertically, so it has a left-side and a right-side. If it were split horizontally (with a top and a bottom) this'd be a maisonette (I think).