Well, there's XCode and Eclipse... I'm not really a software developer, so I can't say much more than that.

As a person familiar with unix, I love OSX. Just about everything is done The Right Way. When I first got my mac, I wanted to know what my ip address is. Typing ifconfig in the terminal window produced the exact output I wanted. Just about any standard unix tool is either installed by apple, or easily available through darwin ports.

My OSX install is over two years old. It was the first OSX install I'd ever really used. When I started, I figured, OK, I'll trash this install and reinstall in two months when I know what I want. I installed anything, messed with anything I wanted, and it's worked perfectly ever since.

I've spend the last week working on The Ultimate Imaging Solution(TM) for our lab. You don't realize how "nice" apple is to sysadmins until you discover that you can boot the damn things from a USB drive that has a full install of OSX on it. In the windows world, I'd be making coaster after coaster of BartPE disks, which only had some of the software I needed. My goal for imaging is to simply network boot the machines and end up with dual boot windows/mac machines with no intervention.

I can't imagine you'll regret buying one. I'd certainly wait for NAB to buy a mac pro, they're due for an update, and it's properly timed for quad core processors and a Leopard announcement.

Matthew