I just wanted to chime in about PDF... I don't use Acrobat to create PDF. It *can* create garbage where other tools won't. Normally with current document creation programs there will be some PDF option for saving already, so I use that. Adobe's software implements this in different ways for every application. To rework that PDF it's preferrable in my opinion to use free or other third-party tools which may work on their own or in conjunction with Acrobat.

My latest was taking a single 2.75" x 6" ticket I designed and laying it up 3x2 onto a taboid sheet (11"x17") - using Acrobat as many people suggested means telling it to print to its own driver with settings that N-Up the output as desired. What this did to the underlying artwork wasn't immeidately visible, but it sliced it all up into little puzzle pieces. This produced some spots where registration (of the pieces) was off and you could see either gaps or overlappy edges. Not nice.

I don't want to hijack this thread into an Adobe topic, because for the most part I think their software (all of it) is far less stable and well designed than MIcrosoft's (or anyone else's). I still use it, but I don't like it.