any views on 1 or 2 10's?

With that six channel amp, you can adjust the subwoofer gains independently of the rest of the system, right? I assume you have enough power in the sub channels to drive a pair of 10's adequately -- 100 or 150 watts of sub power would be plenty.

[soapbox] Living in England, you are probably spared the American lunacy of everybody (well, it seems like everybody) wanting to drive a pickup truck. They buy these monstrous vehicles with four wheel drive and a 20" step into the cab, capable of hauling 700 kilograms, and getting maybe eleven miles per gallon. (And that's a U.S. gallon, not the 5-quart Imperial gallon. Does England still sell fuel by the Imperial gallon, or are you doing it by liters (excuse me, litres) now?) These trucks are not driven off paved roads, and chances are they will never haul anything bigger than what would fit comfortably in the trunk (excuse me, the boot) of your MG. [/soapbox] Anyway, these pickup trucks have the same seating arrangement as your MG: room for two, and a bit of storage behind the seats. It is quite a common practice to put a couple of subwoofers (10", more often 12") behind these seats.

The good news is, there is plenty of volume from the subwoofers in that situation, and the way they punch the back of the seats makes it seems like there is even more than there really is. The bad news is... with such a small passenger enclosure, it is very difficult to get good sound quality out of a two seat cab. Now, when I speak of sound quality, I am getting into the technicalities, like imaging and staging, sound linearity at different volumes, tonal accuracy and spectral balance. Unless you are planning on entering competition and subjecting your sound system to the scrutiny of judges whose goal in life is to determine that your stereo doesn't sound as good as their own, you probably shouldn't worry too much about these things.

As to the effects of playing it in a convertible (top up or down) -- I have no knowledge.

As for one sub or two... it probably won't make much difference. A single good quality speaker will make plenty of noise and still leave you a bit of inside storage room. Two speakers will give you more headroom before you start clipping the signal. Your decision.

Keep us posted on what you do, and put some pictures up too.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"