Quote:
I'm curious to see the photos you submitted...

tanstaafl sent me the photos to rescale and post. Here they are, with his descriptions...

I'd like to claim that this was a carefully staged photo, where I waited for the proper lighting and waded out into the water chest deep to get the boat positioned just right, then gave long consideration to just the right aperture to get my depth of field, and carefully selected the ISO to come up with an appropriate shutter speed. In actuality, it was a spur of the moment snapshot on the public dock in Chapala, Mexico over Christmas vacation in 2006. The vivid colors of the boat against the murky green water caught my eye, I had the camera in hand so I took the picture with the camera set to full auto mode. Sometimes you get lucky.

This photograph was taken in Ajijic, Mexico over Christmas vacation in 2006. The B&B where we were staying had a beautiful enclosed garden with fish pond, and this dragonfly would swoop out over the pond, capture some unsuspecting flying insect, then return to his perch awaiting the next one. Each time he came back, he would allow me to get a little closer and work my way into position to backlight his wings. This shot was taken with the front of the lens no more than six inches away from him, aperture probably about f4.0, shutter speed would have been about 1/250 with an ISO of 200.

In contrast to the "Boat" picture, this one was not serendipity at work. The picture was taken from a scenic overlook on Queen Ann hill in Seattle in Mid-July of 2005, after sunset but before full darkness. I had no tripod, so I balanced the camera on a rock wall with pebbles placed under the lens to aim it properly. I waited until the stars were just beginning to come out, then experimented with exposures. I got it on my third try, with a 10 second exposure at f5.6 using the self-timer feature to prevent camera shake.

Attachments
303271-Boat.jpg (110 downloads)