I have an iPod Touch because I wanted a web browser in my pocket. Still not syncing my music collection to it (no point), but I have played with its music features and there are about 10 tunes on there just for experimental purposes. Anyway...

I'm playing with the photo features in iTunes and OMG DO THEY EVER SUCK.

Problem is, I don't have the photos on my hard disk arranged in such a way that I can sync just one tree-level of folders to the thing. I have a complex hierarchy of folders and I would want to drag only specific folders to the thing, and those would be from multiple higher-level root trees.

But it only lets me select a single layer of sub folders from a single main root tree. And if I go choosing a different main root folder to grab a different layer of sub-folders, it erases the photos from the prior main folder.

In other words, if I have folder structure of c:\BAR\pics1 c:\BAR\pics2 and I put those on the iPod, okay that's fine. Until I want to put c:\FOO\pics1 and c:\FOO\pics2 on the thing, then it erases the stuff from BAR before the stuff from FOO goes on there. I only see the FOO stuff after a sync, the BAR stuff is gone.

With music files, it's perfectly happy to let me just drag the MP3s directly onto the thing from anywhere, emplode-style. It refuses to let me do that with photos. Why the hell not?

Anyway, is there something better out there, (edit: yes) or do I just forget the photo features on this thing too?

PS: The thing seems to have interpreted the photo rotation of all my photos EXACTLY WRONG. Portrait-rotated photos come up landscape. WTF? I've seen one of these things work correctly, with the photos rotating correctly as you twist the thing through the air. Mine rotates precisely opposite.

Edit: As of January 2009, All of the problems discussed in this thread have been solved by the third-party program CopyTrans Photo