Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Originally Posted By: Redrum
Originally Posted By: LittleBlueThing
I am repeatedly stunned by the amazing confusion about basic physics that so many people display in this kind of analysis.

I too could not understand why they even did this test. The outcome just seemed so obvious. However I'm sure my wife, (who is very intelligent, but not when it comes to physics) would have been confused.

Having just been one of the confused (though I got it the first time round), may I suggest that it has less to do with lack of knowledge about physics, and more to do with just not fully understanding how planes are powered, and, consequently, trying to relate it to a powered vehicle that they do know about? Quite simply, if you forget (or never knew in the first place) that a plane's engine doesn't power the wheels to make it move, you're going to be stumped.

I think that's exactly what's happening. Have you ever set up a computer for grandparents who, to underline something, use the backspace key and delete what they just created? That's how you do it on a typewriter.