Originally Posted By: tman
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Agreed. Heck, if you don't have even half the necessary tools, it'll probably cost five times as much just to get the equipment and materials before you start factoring in the value of your time. You're not going to build a desk from scratch with a hammer and a screwdriver.

Ah but then you'd have your own collection of cool tools for next time you want to build something! laugh

Very true smile I was just thinking of the short term, in which $229 is almost nothing when it comes to furniture.

You're right, Bitt, you could always rent. I admit, if I could do it (and I had somewhere I could do it - not easy in a condo), I'd love to make my own furniture. At the moment I'm scouring the web for something that will fit my exact needs and I'm coming up short. I'd love to just build it instead.

[ps- anyone know where to look for versatile furniture for small spaces? I'm looking for a coffee table that will serve quadruple-duty as coffee table, ottoman, storage, and additional seating. Any ideas? It's been very hard to find clever products in this category. My parents had to find my new dining room table in an airline magazine. Great table, by the way.]