Originally Posted By: Dignan
I admit, if I could do it (and I had somewhere I could do it - not easy in a condo), I'd love to make my own furniture.
You aren't the only one who lacks the space at home for a shop, but wants to build furniture. I'd say take a woodworking class at the local community college. All of a sudden, you get access to a shop, plus a teacher who can show you how to use all the tools without cutting your fingers off. It's an easy way to learn about the woodworking resources in your area. If you're lucky, there may be a coop wood shop in your area, though they can be kind of expensive.

Whoever it was (edit: ah... it was lectric) that said the wood isn't cheap is right -- I just spent $70 on a single sheet of A1 grade fir plywood. I would have liked to use the walnut or teak, but with my current skill level and budget, I thought $130 for a sheet was a little steep.

Quote:
ps- anyone know where to look for versatile furniture for small spaces? I'm looking for a coffee table that will serve quadruple-duty as coffee table, ottoman, storage, and additional seating. Any ideas?
A sheet of plywood over some milk crates. wink