I loaded the PC software into VMware (under Linux), to see if it was any good.

Well, it has a fancy GUI to remote-control the scope over USB. The remote control does function, but the remote display in the GUI doesn't work.

The only feature that does seem to work is the Quick Print button on the front of the scope -- it sends a scrollable waveform image to the PC, which can then be saved and/or viewed there.

But the PC cannot zoom the waveform -- horizontal scrolling only.

Here's a saved waveform below. This was saved as a 72KByte JPG, so I opened and resaved it as a 2.6KByte PNG file (without resizing.. they just muffed the JPG, I figure).

The image has no grid lines, so it's not terribly useful. But the Print button in their software can include the grid lines for printouts. Perhaps I should try printing to a file to get them?

The actual image shows Hijack reading the current temperature from the empeg's ds1821 temperature sensor chip over a one-wire bus.

First Hijack pulls the DQ line low for a minimum of 480us, then tristates it again. The chip waits 15-60us, then pulses the line low to indicate presence. Hijack then strobes out the command, 0xAA in this case. The chip then responds with the current temperature reading.

Attachments
temp_sensor.png

Description: 1:1 conversion from JPG to PNG of the image from the scope.