Originally Posted By: Phoenix42
Somehow I don't think OpenFiler is ever going to figure out the "shows up as if by magic" parts replacement :p

Well, if I lived in the UK, the folks behind OpenFiler would gladly sell me a NAS:

http://www.xinit.com/main/storagenetworking/NAS/sns316012.html

but I can't tell right off whether it comes with Magic(TM).

We buy rack-mount boxes from a local vendor who we hold in very high regard (and who are very FOSS/Linux friendly). We've talked with them about whether they would ever consider an OpenFiler-type solution as a line of business. But supporting core storage with true Magic takes you into a whole different risk profile, so I doubt they are going to do it.

So maybe we will have to survive on ersatz, emulated Magic -- buy a box from them and then keep our own spares around. With our current OpenFiler box, we get email failure notifications both from the controller (3Ware 3DM2) and from Linux MDADM, so it could be worse, but the fault detection/notification systems in top-tier NAS like NetApp set a high bar.

One reason we are motivated to adopt a FOSS NAS is that the commercials NAS are a black box and discussions with NetApp or EMC always get, well, complicated. "What, you say you are running a *Samba* domain? That's really not supported you know old chap!"

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.