Originally Posted By: Cris
I for one am quite disappointed by the price point of the new Macbook. It seems to loose Firewire and Gigabit Ethernet and costs more if I can remember

It only loses Firewire - it has gigabit ethernet. The price stays the same in US dollars as the old one. You do get a number of features that are brought from the Pro line of machines, two of them being backlit keyboard and support for Dual-Link displays.

More negatives about the new Pro models:

Doesn't come with any DisplayPort adapters. With the old machines featuring a Dual-Link DVI port and coming with a VGA adapter you were pretty much set. Now you'd have to buy at least two of the adapters below for a total of anywhere from $60 to $130 extra.

Normal DVI adapter costs $29.
Dual-Link DVI costs $99.
VGA costs $29.

I'd also like to see the standard warranty increased to 2 or 3 years, but that's not a concern specific to this latest revision. I do feel like the value proposition of the Pro models has diminished with the latest revisions. They're just not offering the same bang for the buck that previous PowerBooks and MacBook Pros have offered. Apple has been notorious for scaling back on little items like adapters and remotes as well as keeping new revision standard prices centered around similar-speed processors while offering the faster ones at an additional premium. They've done it again now by tossing in updates to the stuff that's come through the floor in pricing lately, like hard drives and memory. I suppose the have to maintain and even increase their margins somehow.