Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I did mention the netbooks, but I was lambasting all portables from all manufacturers/designers other than Apple and VooDoo, at all price ranges. Some of the prices are as high or considerably higher than any MacBook or MacBook Pro.

To be fair, there have been a number of particularly clever Japanese laptops. For example, I'd probably prefer a Sony Vaio G2 over my MacBook Air (a pound lighter, available with 12 hour battery, and it even includes a PCMCIA slot). I bought the MBA because it ran OS X. That and I don't trust Sony support normally, much less when buying from a grey market importer.

I don't want to take away from the fact that Apple is producing truly innovative gear, but at the end of the day, others can make hardware just as good or even better, but it's going to be high-end fringe stuff for high-end consumers. What Apple truly excels at is bringing high-end stuff down to earth and making it work.

[Example: it's marvelous how well an iPhone, running Apple's Remote app, can remote control iTunes and display on my AppleTV.]