Originally Posted By: tfabris
Quote:
Instead, I use it to surf the web, write email, do photo retouching, listen to music, write my resume, and all the other normal things that people do.

Yes. But you're a techie person, and you know what to do if things go wrong. Have you ever, on that Linux box, had to drop to a shell prompt and execute a command to get something to work?

On my current Linux box, which has been going strong for a few months, now? No, and the only time it's been rebooted was during power outages.

On my previous Linux box, a few times, because I techie enough to resolve the problem without a reboot (I like my uptime), which would also have adequately solved the problem in a non-techie fashion.

But generally... no. The times where I do have to drop to a shell to resolve something technical is because I was doing something technical in a shell to begin with. When I don't tinker with it as a techie, I don't have to do techie fixes.

Quote:
I know that people on Windows and Mac have to do that sometimes, too, but my point is that, for a desktop OS, you still need to do that kind of thing more often on Linux than you do on MacOS or Windows.

Seriously... have you used a recent Linux distro like Ubuntu, or KUbuntu?

Quote:
Linux still isn't there.

Sorry, Tony, but you sound like you're parroting the Microsoft line, without having any first-hand knowledge of what you're talking about. Don't get me wrong, Linux isn't without it's problems, but having to drop to a shell to fix things isn't one of them. Please... quit spreading the FUD.