Originally Posted By: tfabris
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Seriously... have you used a recent Linux distro like Ubuntu, or KUbuntu?

I use Debian with KDE every day [...]

Quote:
Sorry, Tony, but you sound like you're parroting the Microsoft line, without having any first-hand knowledge of what you're talking about.

I'm talking from experience, not parroting a party line.

Okay... that's cool, then. There's definitely room for different opinions based on experience. You generally come across as a pretty damn knowledgeable guy, so it seemed like a bit of a departure to read something from you that, while I'd have agreed with it in the past whole heartedly, it didn't seem to be current. Part of the reason I was asking is because, in addition to using Linux at home, for the last 7 years I've been working at large companies (300+ employees) that successfully use Linux on the desktop. Sure, there's some kvetching due to unfamiliarity, but for the most part, from the seasoned unix folks down to the complete computer newbie, things are pretty smooth.

Yeah, there are always going to be examples of something that can be done better, but like you suggested in a previous post, Windows and OS X aren't immune from those, either. The last time I tried to help my parents with a computer problem, a fresh install of the OS still left me searching out, and downloading drivers. So really, I'd still be pretty hesitant to suggest that Microsoft's OOtB experience is any better. Apple, yeah... I won't argue, there. smile