Mark, here in Ontario, anyone can do it. They just can't charge/bill for it unless they're a licensed Master Electrician (or the person doing the work is employed by one who is doing the inspection and the billing as far as I recall). So on a buddy-to-buddy or "friend" or "family" basis, I can do wiring for someone else. The work, if it's the type to normally require it, would still need to be inspected after it's completed. Swapping out a light switch or light fixture isn't the type of work that needs an inspection here in Ontario. Running new circuits is.

The effective change over old policy here in Ontario is that someone like a handy-man or general contractor who may have previously done electrical as part of one of their billable projects can no longer do so. The work-around many folks are taking is simply not to bill for electrical, but instead increase the price of everything else. Do the work, and then have it inspected as being done by the homeowner. This is obviously something the homeowner has to be aware of when contracting such a job.

But Mark is definitely correct that the rules change everywhere. It actually varies down to the State/Provincial level and may even have municipal governance (though I've never heard of that level here).

You can probably give the power company a call in that area to ask or find out who you should ask. There may be an equivalent to an Electrical Safety/Standards Authority you can call as well. For example. Here is ESA for Ontario: http://www.esasafe.com/ I'm sure your local Home Depot would also know (ask at the Pro desk)

If your business involves doing wiring work for other people, you definitely need to find out about all the details for your region. If your business has nothing to do with wiring, then I'm not quite sure why you mentioned it. smile

That said, you might want to pick up a wiring standards book for your Country/State as well, even if only doing work in your own (or parents') home.