Originally Posted By: wfaulk
The Virginia Building Code, §108.2.10.3, states that no permit is required for:
Quote:
Replacement of general use snap switches, dimmer and control switches, 125 volt-15 or 20 ampere
receptacles, luminaries (lighting fixtures) and ceiling (paddle) fans in Group R-2 where serving a single
dwelling unit and in Groups R-3, R-4 and R-5.

And I don't see a requirement for a license for anything other than getting a permit. So I think you're good.

Thanks a lot, Bitt. That's what I was hoping for. I wouldn't have been surprised either way, but I'm happy to see it's going the way I wanted.

My plan is basically to speak to the homeowner's association about the issue. Then we can both work together to make people aware that this is an option. I think most people in the neighborhood don't turn their lights on simply because they don't think about it, and having an automated system would eliminate that problem. And it really is a problem. I used to go for walks at night all the time, but some street corners were completely black because nobody in the area had any lights on. In lieu of street lamps, which will never go into this neighborhood, I think this is a good solution.

Thanks again.