No, I think you misunderstood my meaning there - I meant the music industry (and their associated distribution mechanisms) were scared of Napster. They had to kill the distribution mechanism that Napster represented. I really don't think they give a t*** about the artists they "support" and "protect" (they're ten a penny and can always be replaced with the "Next Big Thing"). What I also saw in this article was that now M$ is lining up to cream off a chunk of the revenues associated with high-volume music distribution, only in a medium they understand better than the music industry.

Now the question is, is M$ too big to be scared by the big distributors? Would the distributors risk a major suit with M$? Or will M$ do it's usual trick of sidling up to the big boys and offering blow jobs with attractive perks until they have them in their pocket? (remember Apple and M$ when Apple used to sue the socks off anyone? Why didn't M$ get the same treatment over Windoze that Digital Research got with GEM? I wonder...)

I don't like the way this is going, to be honest. It looks like the start of another long-term M$ strategy.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015